Welcome Eagles, Owls, Penguins and Swallows
Hello Year 5,
We hope that you had a wonderful Easter break and a chance to rest and spend lots of time with family.
Spring term was difficult for us all with our second national lockdown. When we returned in March, we were extremely impressed with your attitude to learning and it was amazing to see how hard you had worked during remote learning. We are very excited to be returning to school for a full term; packed with interesting and engaging lessons we know you will enjoy.
We have many things to look forward to in our upcoming lessons this half term: in English, we will study and enjoy the text 'Dragon Slayer' by Gill Howell and in guided reading, we will analyse the classic text ‘Five Children and It’ – two very exciting stories! In Mathematics we will consolidate our knowledge and understanding and apply these to investigations; in science we will start our final unit of work ‘Habitats and Life Processes’ and we will start our new topic unit ‘Invaders and Settlers’ which involves the Anglo Saxons and Vikings.
Year 5 pupils are expected to complete the following homework each week:
- Read daily for at least 15 minutes and have their planners signed, this includes at the weekend.
- Learn spellings that will be given on a Monday and tested on a Friday (these are listed below on this page).
- Complete their assigned weekly Mathletics homework.
- Regularly use of Times Table Rockstars.
- Read online using Bug Club.
- Complete your weekly allocated Reading Plus tasks (if you do not complete your six assigned tasks whilst at school each week).
- There are also extension activities available on this page if you wish to complete them (this is optional).
Each child has been given a password for Mathletics, Bug Club and Times Table Rockstars (these can be found at the front of their planner) as well as their Reading Plus password. If for any reason these are not working, please let us know and we will fix them for you.
Alongside your assigned homework, it is always useful to consolidate on your learning by completing extra activities (such as Weekend Wonders). There are some really useful websites for you to use for additional tasks on the 'useful links' page on the 'Year Group Pages' section of the website.
We are very much looking forward to our half term together!
Miss Costa, Miss Brown, Miss Lattimore, Miss Lusher and Mrs Azeem